Tuesday, November 9, 2010

my memoir encounter with furious customer

My memoir – encounter with furious customer
--------------------------------------------------

   I wish to illustrate here a case study about my encounter with a fiery and disappointed customer. During 1990s I was posted in Agra CBO-4 as ABM (sales) in Raja ki Mandi. One day when I was reviewing new business performance of dev officers and agents in the mean time an old man entered in the cabin, he was breathing terribly and staring at me angrily as sales department was in the first floor he had to come upstairs. I had never met him earlier and the moment he came inside my room his first question was, are you Mr. Jangpangi? My response was yes! Sir, He said, why are you sitting here? It was a bit uncomfortable question to me, and then suddenly I requested him to please sit down and offered him a glass of water. After taking water old man was relaxed then I inquired if he had any problem regarding our policy serving, he told his son was in infantry he had purchased a multi purpose policy, so as per policy conditions after death his wife gets monthly instalement regularly by post. But this time she has not received cheque, that’s why I had come to inquire in the ground floor I was told to meet you to tell our grievance. I requested the old man to please do favor giving policy number of the deceased, your late son. He gave me policy number, I requested to wait for ten minutes, I went to dispatch department asked record clerk to let me know about the fate of claim cheque, he went through the record and gave me registered number, date of dispatch and assured me to day registered letter containing cheque should be delivered. After getting satisfactory answer he was convinced.

  To my surprise the person who was so much annoyed and behaving so horribly with us in the beginning looked to be in a relaxed mood, mild smile was clearly visible in his face, then he asked me where you belong. My humble answer was Pithoragarh he immediately said basically he belonged to Almora after retirement from army as major he settled in Agra. Thanking with a smile, giving visiting card invited me to come to his house for a cup of tea. To me cup of tea does not matter what is important that how efficient service we can provide to the customer and thereafter body language and facial expression clearly indicates a sense of content and happiness which can be realized not expressed in words. This is the real achievement in one’s life. if  after service you get the best compliments from the customer it is the real wealth you have earned, it hardly matters in which capacity we are working. In many departments our people have gone through ST route but they have made their presence because of their efficient and sincere, working and intellect. Our ordinary people are doing extraordinary work. There are many such cases which I shall mention in future in order to focus to improve performance by developing knowledge and creativity skills.

  I am inspired to write such case studies, because one morning I was just thinking about books and magazines, suddenly I remembered seventy’s when I was a regular reader of Readers digest there was an article written by a U.S. army personnel who was posted in South Korea. I wish to share with all. It is story of New York City’s news paper boy according to him his father was the only bread winner in the family, to pull on family expenses his father was working as a carpenter, working as a salesman in a shop in the evening and weekend selling insurance policies of a company. But after some years his health started deteriorating after a brief illness he died. There was a question of survival that time this boy was studying in the school. Ultimately responsibility to look after family fell on his soldiers. He approached paper distributor for work. After much persuasion anyhow news paper distributor agreed to give him one lane to sell papers with the condition that sale of paper should improve. Paper boy started distributing consistently papers timely and safely. His commitment for the best service made him famous in the area. Satisfied with his work distributor gave more lanes to operate. Paper was being distributed well in time neat and readable, whether it was rainy day or snow falling. Customers were very happy and satisfied with the delivery system and excellent service being provided by him, so housewives in the lane decided since this boy is the best news paper boy they have found so far therefore decided to present Christmas gift. One day while he was on distributing process visiting some houses he found none to receive the paper, a bit worried thinking customers may be dissatisfied with service, what he noticed ladies have gathered in one of the client’s flat, before he could apologize in case they have any complaint regarding distribution of news paper to his astonishment he found one of the ladies coming forward to welcome him and told to come inside. she told, you are the best paper boy we have seen so far therefore they have decided to present him Christmas gift a cycle with attached battery so that your movement becomes comfortable and convenient. Gift is in appreciation of your impressive, excellent and satisfying work system After doing high school he joined U.S. army and handed over news paper work to his younger brother. He wrote from South Korea, I do not know how he is doing but emphasized whatever you do big or small if you do sincerely and efficiently and work is appreciated the happiness that you get on your achievement  can not be expressed in words it can only be felt immensely with gratitude throughout the life.

Devender              

    

No comments:

Post a Comment